Re: Pricing..........

Bobbie, I really think that's way too low. An hour of your time including scouting and planning? For only $50? How in heaven's name do you think you could cover your cost of doing business with such a low fee?!

It's not like he's going to have a parade of portrait customers coming through his studio, bang, bang, bang. This seems to me to be rather more effort than that. If he's going for the most appealing facial expression, that's 30 minutes under the lights right there. Then there's setting up, and warming up the client, and breaking down and loading up the car and unloading and paperwork and running to and back from the lab twice and meeting with the client to review the shoot and getting and delivering the print order. Sure, some of that last part comes out of the print price, but still it seems way too low. Heck, I think my prices are low, too.

I guess I'd start by calling all the other portrait shooters in town and pretending I'm a prospect, ask about their pricing and contract. See if you can get a copy of the contract while you're at it. See if they have a package they send out that you can examine before coming to meet them.

Whatever you do don't underprice your competition. It's bad for the industry and you're leaving money on the table.