Re: PF Exhibits on 2002-11-16

At 10:08 PM 11/16/2002 +0000, Bob Talbot wrote:

Jeff Spirer - Esperanza

Was this the full frame or selectively cropped for impact?  I suspect
a crop - over a very fast film - but can't be sure and so what anyway
... at least it is a real photo ;o)
This is full frame 6x7. It's Tri-X in Rodinal, so it will look reasonably grainy, but most of the appearance comes from the screen.

Why Esperanza ?
I know several hundred words in Spanish, most of them relating to finding the bathroom, consuming alcohol, and paying off the local police when stopped. Esperanza is one of the few I know not connected to these activities, and it was on the building across the street from where this was photographed.

Bob asked another question in an email to me, which I think he won't mind my answering here.

Was she a model, an acquaintance or is this
a grab shot from the street?
She works in a tacqueria (for those not familiar with the term, it's a cafeteria-style restaurant serving Mexican food.) She doesn't speak any English, and I asked the owner (who does speak English) to ask her. She came back on a day when she was not working and I photographed her behind the tacqueria. It took a long time - she was quite awkward in front of the camera. There is a more "standard" shot from the same day here:

http://www.spirer.com/images/mxg.jpg

Thanks for the comments.

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com