PF Exhibits on 2002-11-16

Work on display at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html includes:

I've listed the exhibits in the order I was drawn to the thumbnails -
it does not say which I liked most.
The more we see image on the web though, the more important the thumb
becomes - if it does not ask for the image to be opened, the image may
not be seen however subtle the patterns within.

This is not a review, just some thoughts that come to mind while
viewing the pictures for the first time one after another ... and
without reading other's comments first.
(Please Emily, don't corrrect my grammer / spelling - it is dislecksia
;o)

Jeff Spirer - Esperanza
Jeff seems to have two sorts of images - those I connect with and
those I don't.  This is one of the former:  a powerful image that lept
out evan as the thumbnail.

Looking at the image the stongest element, which grabs the eye, are
the woman's eyes ... looking hard right at what?  Part manic - part
curiousity?

The other element it the cross made by the window, again off-centre
framing those eyes.

Was this the full frame or selectively cropped for impact?  I suspect
a crop - over a very fast film - but can't be sure and so what anyway
... at least it is a real photo ;o)

Why Esperanza ?

Roger Eichhorn - Carmel Sunset - August 2002
Very nice shot, of the sunset but not looking towards the sun  (which
I suspect might have been just out of frame right.  The silhouette of
the tree, the Moon and Venus --- not much more to say, it works.

August 2002 - there is enough info in the shot for an anorak to tell
you the date and time ;o)

Rob Miracle -  Fall(ing) Butterfly
Lovely shot with a lovely background.  The only flaw in the otherwise
perfect background is the diagonal stem bottom left.
The flower stalk is fairly well placed, coming in nicely from top left
but I whis there was a tad more space to the right of it
The buttefly, heck, looks like a Red Admiral, is taken from an unusual
angle which has placed the length of the antenna in focus.
You missed the highlight in the eyes ....  ;o)

Marilyn Dalrymple - Kido and Cat
Not a rescue cat this week .
Titus really has the monk's attention - who is too "proud" to bow his
head to look.  That interaction looks odd: Kido almost seems bemused
yet at the same time to be backing away.  Maybe it was being born on a
plinth instead of having legs ...

The only part of the image that loses it for me is the background:  I
suspect it's a studio backdrop, but with the monk in black I think
pure white would have worked better - and given marilyn more problems
for exposure.

Emily L. Ferguson - Fall reeds, Mill Creek, South
Yarmouth, MA
An interesting pattern of dry grass amongst the reeds backlit.
It's pleasant but, well, it lacks a focus for me.

Bill Ellis - Quiet river one Sunday afternoon
The thumb was comparatively uniniviting.
The image's strength is the water / reflections. In particular the
split between mirror and ripples.
Something about the scene hinted at a tilt, but the reflections are
directly below  where they should be so maybe it is the "false
horizon" effect of the far bank?

It's monochrome but not B&W.  The more I look  I'm not finding the
tone pleasant - yellowy green.

Peeter Vissak - Pigeons on the square
White out, unsharp, defocussed.
Oh dear Peeter, this one is running from me.
The picture is not really the pigeons but the woman "has her back to
us".
The wheel to left shows maybe a dilemma over where to crop:  keep the
wheel or lose half a pigeon?

Pigeons should be taken from street level (just my personal
preference)

Christopher Strevens - Don't go to Sea, Daddy!
Yea yea yea ... OK, dramatic title, or were the kida *really* calling
that?
It's a moody background, some oddly-grey clouds and sea

What I'm missing is the decision to present it with the subjects in
shadow.  Is that a dognext to the child in red.
It's well composed, but the lighting lets it down

Greg Fraser - Rest Stop
Sorry Greg, last week was one of your best shots - this one is just
for the family album  ;o(
There's some interest there, but enough flaws to spoil it for me.

"Pablum" - what does that word mean anyway ...

Deen Hameed - Leaf
Well, I try to make human shapes out of plant abstracts and they get
mistaken for all sorts ;o(

I can't see the face though - its just a leaf.
What is that mini star-fish doing on the leaf?
The background and cropping could be better (clipping the top of the
far leaf was clumsy and the bright triangle top right pulls the eye).
However much I look though it's still just a leaf - at least it's not
sugar coated.

Bob Talbot - Losers
I love the movement on the left hand player's face and hand - that's
why I chose to show it.
The dejectedness of the right hand player's down cast look - and the
open sadness of the other guy.
Nothing is sharp but I still can't stop looking at it ...

Bob

> There were about 4000 visits paid to the main gallery last week.
Really - that's high.
Maybe ppl were going there yo see if ListServ was working ;o)