Re: Global Health Council's Photography Contest - ANNOUNCEMENT FYI

At 09:34 AM 11/11/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>> Yea, kind of like giving to the Red Cross, United Way, etc.. What's
>to gain
>> from that?
>
>I doubt very seriously that you could use projected usage fees as a
>tax write-off ... This is the same tactic used by many organizations
>to acquire free stock photography. I would think that the organizers
>of this would be embarrassed by their lack of concern to the
>devaluation of photography. Even if it is a "not-for-profit"
>organization, they should still have a budget for media, albeit
>limited.
>
>My post-weekend, pre-Excedrin 2 cents.
>
>Craig D. Heinz
>Heinzfoto
>Melbourne, Florida USA

Guys,

Is it just me or is giving because it may benefit the larger good a silly
notion? It is a fundamental component of a good society not a tax strategy.

Devaluation of photography - what a crock!  It's not like someone asking for
free wedding pictures. Many kinds of professionals do pro-bono work.
Non-profit organizations depend on the shared or discounted skills of a
number of professionals. Are they all devaluing their trade?

The GHC doesn't hide the purpose of their contest. Look at their Form 990
and judge for yourself whether their administrative overhead seems excessive.

Sorry to rant on,

AZ

Build a Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book.