Re: Global Health Council's Photography Contest - ANNOUNCEMENT FYI

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Alan Zinn wrote:

> Is it just me or is giving because it may benefit the larger good a silly
> notion? It is a fundamental component of a good society not a tax strategy.

  It is not just you. I volunteer at a local clinic, a thing I do for the
good of the people there, society and my own good.

In photography,the notion of copyright/usage has been such a hard-fought
battle in everyone's path, that almost everyone seems to be offensively
militant about it.

> Devaluation of photography - what a crock!  It's not like someone asking for
> free wedding pictures. Many kinds of professionals do pro-bono work.
> Non-profit organizations depend on the shared or discounted skills of a
> number of professionals. Are they all devaluing their trade?

  Of course not. As a sometime lecturer in photography, if I were to take
the same (at)tack as some here, answering questions and educating people
here (pro bono) would likewise be wrong....very wrong, and diluting
the teaching profession, wouldn't it ? It is funny that the most virulent
on this issue are, of course, the ones who seem to want free
help/education most often. Ahem...

IMO, the people who act like Ebenezer Scrooge with their knowledge,
gift and skills are devaluing their souls.

 Give of yourself. For the good of the culture, its people, and most
of all yourself. After all, if many people, family  -- and strangers --
had not given of themselves to you, you would not be here today.
 You can't pay them back, except by forging the next link in the chain
of humanity.

         For us, nothing is easier than giving one image.

 --- Luis