Re: PF Galleries on Nov. 4, 2002

At 08:14 PM 11/4/2002 +0000, you wrote:

>D.L. Shipman - Betty's Rose
>Thumbnail:  didn't entice.

This is a problem. Many of my images  just do not work very well as
thumbnails. Actually, quite a few don't work all that well at 500K either...

>......... If there is an aspect of the image that pulls it down
>slightly, there is something too harsh about the light/refelections
>from the leaf.......What is that texture:  it's like the diffracted
specular highlights
>you see in macro shots ...

You are correct. The texture on the leaf is reflected  light from the on
camera flash which I mask to about a half inch square for close-up shots.
This particular leaf has a velvet surface that is actually matte in the
11X14-inch print. The combination of almost point source flash and
cropping/down sizing the file resulted in the tiny highlights.

Dave
East Englewood