Re: PF Galleries on Nov. 4, 2002

Qork now on display at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html
includes:

What a great gallery:  as a set the images work.  There is plenty of
variety and almost no aspect of repetition.  Are the individual shots
any better or worse than weeks when the gallery as a whole is (IMO)
weaker?   Not necessarily, but as a set I've enoyed them.

I'm still not up to a review - in the sense that Luis can deliver a
review. Neither am I about to write poetry ... but for what it's worth
here are some comments composed while looking at the individual
images.

D.L. Shipman - Betty's Rose
Thumbnail:  didn't entice.
I like the full scale image, even the black backround, a lot.  I like
the muted colours of the rose far better than it would have looked in
harsh sunlight.  If there is an aspect of the image that pulls it down
slightly, there is something too harsh about the light/refelections
from the leaf, carefully pointing to the lower left corner as it is.
What is that texture:  it's like the diffracted specular highlights
you see in macro shots ...

Deen Hameed - Light On Water
Thumbnail: no interest.
Is that a fish?
I can see why you took the picture, but I think that, like myself,
you've failed to capture the essence of movement of the light
patterns.  That is, IMO what we see is moving and transient, but when
we excise a single "frame" from the movie it does not hold the feeling

John Lee - Leap!
Thumbnail:  yes, one of the first I opened.
This puts me in mind of some of Eggleston's work (?).  Nothing is
really included, it's not technically well taken (for instance the
focus is up near the blue hoze, but it has spontenaity- it speaks of a
moment in time, of the child's scream.  For me it's almost better
having half the kiddie than the whole:  was that your intent?  If the
kid was in the frame it would look posed ... I dunno, good shot,
enjoyed it.  beware of the child porno police ;o)

Christopher Strevens - Dorking Cemetery
Thumbnail:  lept out asking "open me".
One of the best shots Chris has posted to this forum for me.  I know,
selective desat (even hiding behind sepia) is becoming a cliche.   but
I think this works as an image.  What is little chef?  I mean. which
country?  Had this been macDonalds I would not even have opened the
picture - some aspect of cultural imperialism should be torched!!!

No, as the full image it's clasically composed.  The red -  well, its
red.  Shame really, red bores me in photos ....

Greg Fraser - Siesta
Thumb:  Was this greg?  Maybe, but it uses the corners *too* well ;o)
WOW Greg, yes, this is my pick of this week's bunch and probably the
one of your images I've liked the best.  it's not quite as cleverly
designed, from the viewpoint of the geometrical shapes, as some of
your other work but the child fits in so perfectly.   On the full
scale shot I see your trademark of not quite hitting the corners, but
thinking about it, I actually like those 20-ish pixels to the right of
the boy/girl's shoulder.  Chocolate?  I hopw that's what it is and not
what vervets like to dine on.  Something is always left to question:
I'm not convinced the chocolate is needed.

Fantastic pic though.

Jose Luis Vasconcellos - The day my father died
I won't even pretend to talk about this in terms of composition.  It's
a meaningful shot for the author and a brave shot to share.  The
gallery, for me, is not just about looking at 12 pretty-pretties each
week but a place to explore photography.   What were the mits for?
Blood pressure or arthritis?

the inclusion of a paper strangely gives a sense of how the small but
personal scene is part of the world.  The death of a loved one who you
knew contrasting with the death of someone who the publicity machines
had conditioned milions to revere.
Princess Diana ... a saint?  I don't think so. Youth and looks get
mistaken for goodness all to often in the image concious world of
today.

Is there anything wrong with death?  It is a part of life most would
prefer not to acknowlege.  once you accept death, what is the point of
consumerism, wealth, photography.  Life really is only for today.

Thanks for sharing this shot.

David Small - Long May They Wave
Thumb: Dark.

I'm not sure this is what I would have identified as a "typical David
Small shot".  Could it be a Jeff Spirer shot?
It's monochrome and dark with a graphic simplicity.
The title - I thought the hand but did it mean the flag?  What is the
symbolism supposed to say?  I don't want to go there for sure.

Technically, sommat troubles me:  what is that white diagonal line
across the flag?  I don't understand how it got there, it's like an
extension of the chrome trim, but it's not obscured.

Jeff Spirer - Homage to Don Manuel
Thumb: grey
This is consistent with one of Jeff's styles, lone individual on a
sidewalk.   The woman with her head bowed - is that why you chose the
shot for your homage.  It's not the strongest of the genre I've seen
from jeff, but it's enjoyable in its own right.

Angela Turnpaugh -
Thumb:  group of kids
Full:  Group of kids with camera shake.  At least I think the softness
is shake not defocus.
I can't get in to this shot and am struggling to even explain what I
see.  The turquoise shirt (bottom left) did not need to be there.  The
bloke in the Ball State sweat pullf my eyes back away from the lads.

Rob Miracle - Falling Falls Fall
Thumb: nice landscape
OK, it's pleasant but not grippingly exciting.  Indeed, I live the
water, reflections, fall colours but yes, as you noted, the sky lacks
punch.  The silhouetted tree top left *would* have served as a great
foil for the sky but for one tiny detail, those few leaves that broke
the tree line lost the separation on film of near vs far that we know
should be there.  That small point of contact I think has a huge
impact and disproportionate effect on the success of the image.  What
do I know, I couldn't take a landscape shot if I tried.

Thanks to all the contributors for putting together a set of
thought-provoking set.
This gallery is boring?  Nah ...

Bob