Re: PF Galleries on Nov. 4, 2002

>Work now on display at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html
>includes:
>
>D.L. Shipman - Betty's Rose

Hmm.  That's quite severe and I'm not liking the dulling of the
colors of the rose at all.  Interesting shadow situation there too.
Also interesting where the hyperfocal point is, looks like it's
somewhere towards the back of the bud.  I think I'd prefer it on the
curled petals in the NW and SE corners, or on the curled petal in the
middle of the image.  I think a lot of sharpness might really pick
this image up for me.

>Deen Hameed - Light On Water
>Is that a fish?

Well, I fall for this moment all the time, I must admit.  Focussing
in this situation is always an interesting experience.  Balancing the
yellow against some opposite color seems to help me make this sort of
image more successful, so I particularly like the places where the
sky is reflected in the surface of the water.  Composition is always
tricky as well, because the elements hardly ever conspire together
for the photographer.  Here the brightest rock is leading the eye out
of the image.  I think there would be some improvement if there were
some sense of motion.  Bob's right about snatching a moment from a
movie and when it is especially difficult to do successfully.

>John Lee - Leap!

Not certain why you went for the fast exposure time.  I think, had I
had the time to think it through I would have opted for nearly the
exact opposite - get the slightly blurred sprinkler water so it stood
out from the grass a bit better, maybe even get the leap in process.
I'm trying really hard not to keep the title in mind while looking at
the photo.  Seems the title is a bit premature, or post-mature.  The
image is of the landing.  Obviously I'm not succeeding at the
effort.....

>Christopher Strevens - Dorking Cemetery

Goodness.  Just how tall is that awful sign!  How embarassing -
cultural imperialism indeed, and coming from my country.  So sad.
Poor tree, doesn't stand a chance.  So sad, so sad.

as for the photo - seems like too much sky to me.  The sepia is OK
but the red kinda clobbers you over the head.  Not sure it relates to
the cemetery.

>Greg Fraser - Siesta

Jeez.  I like everything about this pic.  I hope you found it, and
didn't set it up.  If you set it up I'm even more jealous.

But how much chocolate ice cream did he get on the sheets!?

>Jose Luis Vasconcellos - The day my father died

Your father was a sensible, loving, courageous and good willed man,
judging from your description.  I perceive a certain detachment from
his final moment in the image you show, as well as a certain courage
in showing the image to us at all.  thank you for letting us see
these things about you.

>Jeff Spirer - Homage to Don Manuel

Wonderful textures contrasting, yet they go together.  A bit over
sharpened.  I'm so sorry that building is all closed down that way.
It must have had some role, maybe not nice, in the past.

>Angela Turnpaugh -

The trick is to get the right exposure time and then to figure out
how to get at the essence of the situation before it's over.  I'm
afraid this didn't do that, but I know from experience that it's
takes lots of practice.  Auto focus helps, as well.

King/Arthur - Kieran's Irish Pub

OK.  If that's your thing, have a good time.  I can't realate,
however.  Hope the music was good at the pub, however.

>Rob Miracle - Falling Falls Fall

Kinda dull colors on my monitor.  Mostly I'm not seeing a real
attention focal point.    I do see lots of possibilities, and I don't
see any real need to strip out the sky that was there.   In general,
however, it seems like there's too much information and some
simplifying could help.  More I think this type of shooting permits
lots of time for thought and that you can do that, you just have to
let your head go there instead of where it is most of the time.
Quick reflexes aren't needed all that often with this landscape stuff.

Begin by figuring out whether you're being called to this situation.
If the siren call rings in your ears, follow it and see where it
calls you to go.  All the elements there have charms, it's a matter
of figuring out how to coax them into revealing themselves as charms.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
elf@cape.com  508-563-6822