Re: Gallery Impressions - 10/28/02

"Bright, Christy [IBD]" wrote:

> >>I believe that digital cameras will replace film almost completely (apart
> from a few enthusiasts) in the next 5 years or so.<<
>
> They've been saying the same thing about HDTV and digital video for about 10
> years now, yet the overwhelming majority of movies produced and released in
> this country continue to be made on good old fashioned film.
>
> Christy

Actually, movies have been made using video consistently since the early '80s
when I was venturing into that business.  The British movies we see on Public
Television in the US are mostly recorded and finished on video.  You can tell
that just by watching them.

In the US market, however, we expect a certain look and feel to the finished
product.  Once the movie scenes are all finished on the set and the editing is
complete, the image is then transferred to more traditional film for release.

It makes sense that they do it this way.  Editing and manipulation are far
easier in digital than film.  But the viewing quality is far superior on film,
at least as far as we are used to seeing it.  It's a bit like the comparison
John Sexton makes between fiber based paper and RC paper.  It's like comparing
leather and naugahide (sp?).

The industry will continue to produce what sells.  They are interested in
profits more than product.  It behooves us then to buy what we want to stay
available to us and only that.  If you prefer working in digital imaging, then
buy those tools necessary for that medium.  If you prefer working in analog /
traditional photography then buy only film and paper products and the tools
necessary for that.  I do.

I don't own a digital camera though I do have a scanner and printer.  Neither
do I own a cell phone and won't until it becomes necessary to my photography.

Peace!
Sidney

--
God said, Let there be light!
Divine Light: Photography by Rev. Sidney Flack