From:  Qkano <wildimages@l...>
Date:  Sat Oct 26, 2002  8:47 pm
Subject:  Gallery Review: 2002-10-26

> Christiane Roh - Lausanne, Pl. de la Riponne, aot 2002
> Street photography: unstructured. Is Christiane invisible? The two
> girls look to the right, the boy to the left. It's as if they have
> not noticed the camera. Also, it makes me wonder what I'm supposed to
> take from this. Time and place - well, month and place anyway.

Well, for me the foreground doesn't look so unstructured : the three
children build like an N, with all the heads almost at a third.  But yes,
the background is somewhat problematic.. I like the spatial relationship
existing between the three children : the boy somewhat left out.. Just
eating his ice cream and the two little girls complotting /whispering/
laughing : they were much more active than the boy passively eating his
cone. The shot was taken with the Canon D60, using the 28-105 F3.5-4.5 and I
was sitting on a bench in front of the children, so I was visible, however,
they were playing and for a while didn't pay much attention to me. That shot
was taken just seconds before the girls got aware of me and begun "acting".

Le 27.10.2002 16:58, « Marilyn » <marilyn@rglobal.net> a écrit :

> Christiane Roh  <javascript:{}>
> Lausanne, Pl. de la Riponne, ao{t 2002:  A slice-of-life photograph, and I
> like it very much.  The two little girls are sharing a secret and the little
> boy is uninterested - how natural.  There is something very appealing about
> this image.  Perhaps because it is so true to life.

Thanks for the kind comment Marilyn.. That's indeed why it is difficult to
discard it, despite of the background.

Le 28.10.2002 17:47, « Gregory Fraser » <Gregory.Fraser@pwgsc.gc.ca> a
écrit :

> Christiane Roh (Lausanne, Pl. de la Riponne, aot 2002) -
>
> Three children sit, easily amused.
> Females unshorn; the male in shoes.
> At such a young age,
> are they aware
> that gender dictates
> the direction they stare?

Wow.. Now you are saying it in verse !! Yea.. That's it : it was a very
gendered situation.. Not only the direction they stare, but also their
spatial relationship and attitude..

Le 28.10.2002 20:57, « Craig D. Heinz » <craig@heinzfoto.com> a écrit :

> Christiane Roh - Lausanne, Pl. de la Riponne, aout 2002
> Christiane:
> I typically don't like street photography, but its aesthetic, as seen
> through your camera/eyes/mind, is uncharacteristically pleasing to me.
> This shot is no exception. I particularly like the way the children's
> curiosity spills over and becomes the viewer's curiosity; I catch
> myself wondering what they are looking at, as they may be wondering
> themselves.  From the technical standpoint, I only have two very small
> adjustments to suggest. First, I would like to have seen the boy's
> foot in its entirety, as well as nudging the frame a little to the
> left so the girl's fingers aren't touching the edge. Second, I think
> the use of a wider aperture to separate the kids from the background
> may have improved the image slightly. Overall, though, the photo works
> for me.

Hi Craig, welcome back and thanks for the king comment. I think the two
girls were just getting aware that I was taking their picture : a few
seconds after the shot, they laughed shyly and begun "acting", making as if
they hadn't seen me, but very satisfied to have caught my attention.

Le 1.11.2002 3:24, « Emily L. Ferguson » <elf@cape.com> a écrit :

> Christiane - Lausanne Aot 2002
>
> That one in the middle's a live wire, I'll bet.  She seems to be
> really cued in to the world, which the one on the right's really
> interested in making sure his popsickle doesn't melt.  I like the
> focus in the middle kid's body, and the way her girlfriend is working
> to see what she's talking about.  These street grab shots are
> wonderful opportunities to get faces when people aren't preparing
> themselves.  In this case a lot less depth of field would have really
> brought the kids to the fore, they wouldn't have had to compete with
> the people behind and that highrise and those three globes for the
> viewer's attention.

The one in the middle was the one taking all the initiatives.. Well, I shot
that the first week I had the D60 and looked for the settings : it was shot
with the zoom at 40mm (equivalent to 64mm for a 35mm) and at F4 (the widest
I could); I was very near of the children (between 2-3 meters) while the
globes and add panels were much further. I'm surprised to have got such a
long DOF.. I'm not disturbed by the other people, because they fall not too
bad between the children, creating the street context.. But I'd prefer if
the globes weren't there :-(

Many thanks to all the reviewers. Their comments were greatly appreciated.

Christiane