RE: Just how do filters work?

The atoms and molecules that make up a filter may seem to be solid objects,
but on the scale of visible light photons, they are mostly incredibly large
voids is space with unbelievably small beasties called neutron and protons
(which may be even incredibly smaller other beasties, but that is another
story) surrounded by very fast moving, also incredibly small, beasties
called electrons. The interaction of the electrons with the electrons in
adjacent atoms is what holds the material together and makes us consider it
a solid chunk.

The photon can either pass through the material, reflect off of one of the
surfaces of the material, be deflected to a different path, or be absorbed.
The light that reflects off the surfaces will be a few percent, usually less
than 10%, of what hits the material. This can be reduced to less than 1%, or
so, with anti-reflective coatings. Light that is deflected to a different
path causes image degradation. If it is large, you need to get your money
back. The light that passes through is what is absorbed in the film or CCD
and eventually results in a gallery submission. The photons that get
absorbed are what we buy filters for.

When a photon passes through the filter, how it interacts with little
beasties in the filter depends upon the wavelength (color) of the photon.
The shorter the wavelength (bluer), the higher the energy in the photon. The
longer the wavelength (redder), the lower the energy in the photon. All
atoms and molecules have characteristic and discrete energy conditions
(physicists; who can be usually identified by walking fast, waving their
arms while they talk, getting very excited about subjects that generate
dazed looks from the majority of the population, and writing on napkins in
restaurants; call them states) in which they can exist.  Only light at a
wavelength that equals the energy of one of these energy states will be
absorbed.

Photons have a true identity problem and cannot figure out whether they are
tiny little beasties or big fat waves. They look like big beasties if the
photon happens to be at an energy that matches one of the energy states of
the filter material. The bigger it looks the faster the beasties in the
filter gobble it up. When the photon is eaten (absorbed) it ceases to exist.
The beastie, which has absorbed the energy of the photon it ate, will wait
for a while and then spit the photon back out. The photon will be spit out
in a random direction so most of the new photons never reach the film or
CCD.

Sometimes the beastie spits out more than one photon. Each photon will be at
longer wavelengths that the one the beastie ate, but the energy in all the
photons it eventually spits out will add up to the energy of the ate.
Photographers don't need to worry about this but laser people make their
living because of it.

Bottom line: Photons at a color that matches the characteristic absorption
wavelengths of the filter don't get to the film or CCD and photons at a
color that doesn't match the characteristic absorption wavelength of the
filter do.

Doug Stanley
- long-time list lurker;
- occasional (very) gallery contributor;
- photography funded by funds received from laser R&D management;
- past employment as researcher in obscure problems in nuclear, particle,
and laser physics that most people really don't care about but were fun to
solve