Re: Gallery Review

r rites:

>OK, here he is... So he was a bass player. Hangs out
>all night in dark jazz clubs wearing berets and
>wishing he was a black upright bass player. Get rid
of
>the funky watch and get some dark shades, brother.
>Cat on the sax is layin' it down! You're starin at
>some photographer.  Lock down on the drummer. Or get
>that harmonica out.

I'm tring to dig your jive, man, but I'm too
squaresville.  After all, I teach history and play
(God help us) the french horn.

For what it's worth, the bass player (from DC--have
his name written down in my notebook, which is at
home) has some serious chops.

>This looks like a real print to me. Feels like
>selenium toner.

Sensia 400.  Scanned, then converted to greyscale in
PS.

>Also feels like a 55mm micro nikkor.

Tokina AF80-200/2.8.

>The sax man's shirt serves perfectly as a reflector
>fill in the shadows on his face in what would
actually
>be very contrasty lighting.

No doubt about it.  But it's also true that
dark-skinned people are easier to photograph in this
sort of lighting than light-skinned people.  Contrast
between skin, clothes, instrument, and etc. isn't so
large.  Shooting white folks is harder.  (Should I
rephrase that?  Let's see...  White folks are more of
a problem.)

>The most interesting thing here for me is how
>succinctly the presence of an upright can define the
>genre of music.

Ah, those cliches, again.  Upright bass, African
American saxophonist, B&W pic...  Spells J-A-Z-Z,
don't it?

Thanks much, r, John