Re: Eagle has landed

At 3:15 PM -0700 10/4/02, Doug Seibert wrote:

>But total SERINDIPITY that the image would be as
>dramatic as this..........Remember I started the
>camera and then watched what happened before my
>eyes/film..........But I knew I had something
>special............I even got to do a little "jig"

So it was luck on top of experience. An interesting description of the process.

>You said:
>"...... in Lucy Lippard's book 'Overlay'. The artist,
>>  Charles Ross, used  a large lens to burn marks into
>pieces of paper and wood, making repeated exposures
>over periods of months."
>
>Oh God.....I hope I'm not that anal.........Ive always
>marveled at the dedication to make those year-long
>figue-8 sun/moon photos....? I never saw your ROSS
>work before......COOL!

It does seem as if it would require a reasonably regular lifestyle.

I'd say obsessiveness can be a definite plus in trying to make art.
Anal I wouldn't know about.

For a long time I had wanted to make nightly recordings of CNN
Headline News and then play them all back under the title News of the
Year in a Week or the Changing Hairdos of Lynne Russell. She's moved
on unfortunately, and I have yet to learn to program a VCR reliably.

>Attach a light to the pedal of a bicycle....and
>another to the rim of one tire..........Now pedal the
>bike and make a time exposure........No 'freewheeling
>allowed'...........change gears and shoot another
>frame.........what do they look like?   I love that
>one! Waveform/length/amplitude/gear ratios!

I'd guess two out of phase but harmonic sine waves of different
amplitude. When can we see a picture? Andy?

This whole business of abstract mathematical forms appearing in
visible form is quite interesting.

Once while playing a musical instrument and looking at the strings I
saw fleeting glimpses of sine curves. What was happening was that my
glance was moving down the vibrating string and the image of a bright
spot on the string was persisting just long enough to be stretched
out into a visible sine curve. Actually, an exact physical analog of
plotting a sine function against time. I wonder if you could get a
picture of that?