Re: Taking a look at the Gallery

"Alan P. Hayes" wrote:
> Those who submit become real photographers to me.
Yup ... talk is easy.
Photoforum is almost unique in that we actually, occasionally, talk about real pictures and spend much less time getting anal over the latest lens.   Advice from someone whose work you respect holds a lot more weight than that you can get from one of the hundreds on "anons" on any newsgroup.

> Submissions cover a very wide range of subject style and quality.
Yup ... and intent.
The gallery is not solely about "your best" - it's not a competition.

> This can be frustrating, particularly in relation to reviewing the
> gallery, there are quite a few instances where I'm not sure of my
> ability to avoid being either insensitive or ignorant.

> Finding something to say about 20 pictures by 20 photographers is a
> time consuming task, which means that I (and perhaps other list
> members?) don't manage to say anything about the pictures that really
> strike us.
Lucky then there are only 10 or 12 each week ;o)

> I often find myself wanting to know more about a picture than I have
> been told. I also don't always get around to asking. It seems that a
> good annotation can at least at times provide an opening for deeper
> discussion.
Asking is often the only way.  Sometimes an explanation is appropriate.  For me though I often want to know people's reaction without explanation.  Does the image say anything on its own or does it need explanation?  It's a personal thing but for the most part I like to look at an image without "being led" by a restictive title etc.

> It would still be nice to figure out ways to be able to respond more
> frequently to other people's gallery submissions and to get more
> frequent and detailed responses to my own pictures from others.
email?

> I also want to figure out a good way to supply a link to a larger
> better version of my own postings, either in a brief post to the list
> or else as a link in the gallery description. Would anyone have any
> objection to the former? or idea of how to do the latter?
Andy already adds the "link to homepage" when given.
In the info about field include

Author: Someone
Title: Something
Full-size version (26.3Mb): www.megabandwidth.com/bludybigpic.jpg

Freeserve AnyTime, only £13.99 per month with one month's FREE trial!
For more information visit http://www.freeserve.com/time/ or call free on 0800 970 8890