Re: a bitchin I go again..

Lets say my son is on a baseball team. And one year they do quite well.
So, I spend the entire weekend of the playoffs exhibiting my remarkable
photographic talents by exposing an inordinate amount of film.
Time was when I would have to have the film processed, prints made,
organized and numbered and some way of getting them around to all the
proud parents of the team. I would take orders, charging a small fee to
cover the cost of printing and perhaps my gas but certainly not my time
to tend to all of this post production.
Then, I even have to tend to distributing the finished prints and
collecting said moneys from all those ignoramus parents that never gave
a crap about the team until they made it to the finals and what about
the friggin assistant coach that drank all my beer every weekend? I
don't care if he EVER gets a print! Why I can't even bear the thought of
seeing him aga...

So, you say that if I let the Fuji lab process the film, they will scan
it and make the prints available for viewing by all these jerks and even
let them order any prints they want and deal with paying and picking
them up and everything? JEEZUS! I am in there. Heck, even the distant
grandmas and grandma, aunts and uncles can get pictures of little Tommy
if they want. No way I want to deal with that.

Wait a minute. Fuji wants copyright? Well, of course they do. They can't
legally make copies of my prints without either my permission or by
being given the right to copy them. I certainly don't want them calling
me long distance everytime some proud hillbilly wants to get a copy of
his cousins uncles second wifes nephews little baseball stars pitchur on
the mound. I'll give 'em the right to copy them. Endlessly. Just don't
make me have to talk to these people.

Now I gotta protect myself though. What if I take a really really good
pitchur of one of the little darlings? How can I make sure that Bill
Gates don't buy it for a song and use it for the packaging of Windows 2020?

I'll tell you how. Make sure there is a shiny little face in every one
of them shots. No model releases? No sales.
Of course Emilys lighthouse'll probably sell like hot cakes.

"To enable your images or photographs to be uploaded and made available
on the Service"
    Read: allowing us to exhibit your work and to accept orders from
anyone who gets the password from you or any of your long lost cousins.

"you grant to us and to any store which uses the Service"
    Read: Even the Fuji store near Canberra. (Who knows someone out there?)

"and which you have requested upload your images or photographs to the Service,"
    Read: We're not twisting your arm here. You asked for it.

"a non-exclusive"
    Read: We don't mind if you want to make prints too if you want. We
just want the money from those jerks you don't want to have to deal with.

"transferable worldwide"
     Read: We can sell a print to someone in Transylvania if they can
figure out how to request it and can give us money.

:royalty-free"
     Read: We are not going to pay you a commission of the sales we
generate from your cousins. This is all about us profiting from your
laziness. Like you couldn't even be bothered to lick a stamp and stuff
an envelope to send grandma a picture. Shame on you.

"copyright licence to reproduce"
     Read: Yep, we want the right to make some copies. Sell some copies
actually. To any damn body who can figure out how to request it and who
will give us money for them.

"adapt"
     Read: We tried to explain why he wouldn't get the entire picture in
an 8x10 crop so he decided to print it 8x8. We complied with the idiots
wishes just to get him out of the store. You are not allowed to get mad
about our revision of your original vision. You would have done the same
thing if he were in your face.

"or alter"
     Read: Read: We probably won't get the color right anyway but if
Auntie Zelda says she wants in in Sepia, well, we are going for the
extra buck and you aren't allowed to get mad at us.

"your images or photographs. "
     Read: Snapshots? Fine Art? Whatever you want to call it is fine
with us.