Re: a bitchin I go again..

Sure, stupid and arrogant if they think alienating customers is a
good idea or else smart and unethical if they're doing it for my
second reason. Maybe both, but I would tend to go with the former.

There are plenty of smart nice people in decision making positions in
corporations, I'm sure. I really doubt whether corporate structures
and goals allow many of them to behave that way when making
decisions. I spent six weeks inside a munitions plant once. The
degree of disconnection between the people there and what they were
doing was truly amazing.

At 11:02 AM -0400 9/30/02, Dan C wrote:
>No, it sounds like a case of smart people to me.
>
>At 10:32 AM 30-09-02 -0400, Alan P. Hayes wrote:
>[snip]
>>using the service (our customers) is of no concern to us." Sounds
>>like a case of stupid arrogant business people to me, or else another
>>instance of corporate harvesting of intellectual property.
>>
>[snip]
As far as an alternative to Fuji's approach, it's not that hard to find:

<http://www.printroom.com/faq.asp?bm=term#termsserv>

The pertinent paragraphs:

Copyright
Users retain all rights in any material uploaded to the service by
the users. No copyrighted material may be placed on the service by
anyone without the permission of the copyright owner, or persons
authorized by the copyright owner to grant permission. You are
responsible for obtaining the necessary permission before permitting
any copyrighted material that belongs to others to be placed on the
Printroom.com. You may download the material available on the service
for your personal, non-commercial use. Except as may be permitted by
the Copyright Law, you are responsible for obtaining permission
before reusing any copyrighted material that is available on the
service. It is the obligation of the individual members to ensure
that no copyright is being violated by the posting of their photos.
Members are solely responsible for the content of their photo albums.

Grant of Limited License to Printroom.com
Users grant Printroom.com a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide,
perpetual license, with the right to reproduce, distribute, transmit,
publicly display any materials and other information you submit to
the service (the "Submitted Materials") for the purposes of (i)
display on their sites and (ii) production of personalized photo
finished products or reprints ordered by members or their guests.
Printroom.com disclaims ownership of "Submitted Materials" and will
not resell or otherwise convey these rights to any third party. You
also grant to Printroom.com the right to use your name in connection
with the Submitted Materials. No such License shall apply to the
images not placed into online albums and submitted only for
production of personalized photo finished products or reprints.
Printroom.com will not use your images, submitted to albums or not,
for promotion and marketing purposes without first obtaining your
express permission to do so for each such image.

--
"Red" Alan P. Hayes
Pittsfield, Massachusetts