Re: a bitchin I go again..

 [Nothing like a good Karl bitch....]

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Karl Shah-Jenner wrote:

> from the wonderful people at FUJI:
> http://www.fujicolor.com.au/en/Content/Home.asp

 <snipped sarcasm>

> My cynicism is reinforced yet again.  OK, maybe it's just me, and everyone else is happy
> with big companies making $ from people without paying a cent..

  Too young for curmudgeon-hood, Karl. It's the real world. Why should
anyone expect something for free ? Without the occassional ad/pop-up,
or string attached ? The cyberworld is just like the real one. No free
lunches. Everyone's a Romulus waiting for a lactating she-wolf...gimme
a break.

< more snipped indignation>

  I suppose the warning is a good thing. After all, people should read the
small print every time they enter into a contract. In my opinion, Fuji is
providing a free service at their expense, and risk management has done
its best to protect their company from all possible liability. Does anyone
really think Fuji will make millions from web pictures ? Puh-leeze. It
will cost them much more to maintain the server space, hire the
many trained and expensive photo-researchers to dig through the
inevitable mountain of imagery for a marketable image, than it would to
hire someone to shoot it. If Fuji had a no-prize contest, they'd get
better images (pre-edited) and copyright free. The notion that there's
a sinister conspiracy underfoot, and that Fuji is wringing greasy
palms in anticipation of ripping off all the *COUGH* young photographers
is unlikely, IMO.

 The righteous indignation is understandable, and the warning a good
thing. Just say no. Oh, I forgot, no one says no...

  -- Luis