Taking a look at the Gallery

I've been finding myself vaguely dissatisfied with the Gallery and
have decided to express some of my thoughts about it with the hope of
spurring some discussion with an eye to possible changes in that area.

Those who submit become real photographers to me. The aggregated
knowledge and experience those who post to this group is quite a
resource, but having a regular opportunity to see people's
photographs has definite significance.

Submissions cover a very wide range of subject style and quality.
This can be frustrating, particularly in relation to reviewing the
gallery, there are quite a few instances where I'm not sure of my
ability to avoid being either insensitive or ignorant.

Finding something to say about 20 pictures by 20 photographers is a
time consuming task, which means that I (and perhaps other list
members?) don't manage to say anything about the pictures that really
strike us.

I've recently been making an effort to submit a photo every week if
possible. It's frustrating when there's little response. It's also
reasonable to expect that there will often be less reaction than one
might wish.

I often find myself wanting to know more about a picture than I have
been told. I also don't always get around to asking. It seems that a
good annotation can at least at times provide an opening for deeper
discussion.

It would still be nice to figure out ways to be able to respond more
frequently to other people's gallery submissions and to get more
frequent and detailed responses to my own pictures from others.

I feel that a lot of the time the gallery submissions suffer from
being crunched into the available space. I know I often see pictures
that seem likely to be lacking in technical ways which may be mostly
the result of being jpegged down. Also, I know I have submitted
pictures that lost quite a bit when reduced to meet the gallery specs.

I'm considering responding to gallery postings individually or in
small groupings, mostly in the hope of actually responding to more of
them.

I also want to figure out a good way to supply a link to a larger
better version of my own postings, either in a brief post to the list
or else as a link in the gallery description. Would anyone have any
objection to the former? or idea of how to do the latter?

--
Alan P. Hayes
Pittsfield, Massachusetts