Re: Two basic and dumb questions about lenses

At 07:56 PM 9/7/2002 +0800, you wrote:

>Dave writes:
>> Changing focal length alone can definitely alter the relationship between
>> objects as seen in your view finder.  This will be readily apparent if you
>> spend a moment with a zoom lens.
>
>Sorry Dave - it may appear this way but if you try this experiment you'll
see it's not as
>your mind percieves it.

Actually, appearance is precisely what I'm talking about.  Follow me
thru... Place a small sign on a stake and stick it in the ground. Take
three paces and place another sign in the ground. Line yourself up with the
two signs and walk thirty paces. When you look back at the signs the first
one will look about 100 feet away and the second will look about 10 feet
farther away which is as it should look because that is their relationship
with each other and with you. Now with out moving, take a shot thru your
35mm SLR 500mm lens at the signs. They now look a lot closer to you and
much closer to each other which is also as it should look because the 500mm
lens on a 35mm SLR gives a ten X scope effect.  The signs look about ten
feet away and one foot apart.

>Fit your camera to a tripod and lock on a 28mm lens and take a pic.  Fit a
100mm and take
>a pic.  If you print both pics they will look quite different but if you
enlarge the
>centre of the shot taken with a 28mm so it frames the same as the 100mm
shot, it will look
>identical.  This is because there is no difference in the spatial
relationship between the
>objects, the different focal lengths are just showiung you more or less of
the scene

I do not understand your point. You say I can not alter spacial
relationships in an image by changing focal length and then claim to prove
it by  changing length of focus (raising your enlarger head) and altering
spacial relationships in an image.

>I have done a full sequence of shots showing this relationship, and once
someone sees it
>they comprehend immediately even though it seems counter intuitive
compared to what you
>see through the finder.
>
>karl

Again, I don't understand your point. You can duplicate with your enlarger
what I can do with a zoom lens. So?

Dave
East Englewood
Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once
he grows up. -Pablo Ruiz y Picasso