Re: OT: Laptop for graphic design

>I'm looking for a laptop computer for graphic design, one with excellent
>color monitor, and which can run both Mac and Windows (if this is
>possible). I will use the computer for Photoshop, Dreamweaver and similar
>programs. For movies, too. Any suggestions?
>
>Elson

Elson,

I'm going to give a Mac-centered answer 1) because that's what I use,
and 2) Macs can do both, while PC's can't very well.

In my opinion, you should look for a factory-refurbished Titanium
Powerbook (often called a TiBook). Small Dog Electronics
(http://www.smalldog.com) is a good source for refurbished, or new,
Apple's. Refurbished gets you the same machine at a lower price. You
will want a lot of RAM, a fairly sizeable hard drive and a CD-RW (or
DVD-RAM) drive. To run Windows programs, you should check out
SoftWindows or Virtual PC (version 4 or 5). I like Virtual PC; the
version 4 that I have came with Windows ME, but you can get other
versions of Windows (even XP), or add additional version of Windows.
With enough RAM and hard disk space in your Mac, the Windows
environment will run only moderately slower. As yet, I've had no
problem with any Windows program I've tried. It will even share the
Mac environment's internet connection, as you would expect it to.

Stephen Ylvisaker
greyfell@gns2000.com
"...decide...whether or not the goal is worth the risks involved. If
it is, stop worrying.."     Amelia Earhart