Re: Two basic and dumb questions about lenses

> Actually, appearance is precisely what I'm talking about.  Follow me
> thru... Place a small sign on a stake and stick it in the ground. Take
> three paces and place another sign in the ground. Line yourself up with the
> two signs and walk thirty paces. When you look back at the signs the first
> one will look about 100 feet away and the second will look about 10 feet
> farther away which is as it should look because that is their relationship
> with each other and with you. Now with out moving, take a shot thru your
> 35mm SLR 500mm lens at the signs. They now look a lot closer to you and
> much closer to each other which is also as it should look because the 500mm
> lens on a 35mm SLR gives a ten X scope effect.  The signs look about ten
> feet away and one foot apart.

 it would look exactly as it would appear if you did it with a 19mm lens, a 50mm lens or a
1000mm lens..

I wrote:
> >Fit your camera to a tripod and lock on a 28mm lens and take a pic.  Fit a
> 100mm and take a pic.  If you print both pics they will look quite different but if you
> enlarge the centre of the shot taken with a 28mm so it frames the same as the 100mm
> shot, it will look identical.  This is because there is no difference in the spatial
> relationship between the objects, the different focal lengths are just showiung you more
or less of
> the scene
>
> I do not understand your point. You say I can not alter spacial
> relationships in an image by changing focal length and then claim to prove
> it by  changing length of focus (raising your enlarger head) and altering
> spacial relationships in an image.

I'm afraid I can no more change the spatial relationship of objects in a negative than I
can turn water into wine, but I'd love to know that trick - I've a pic close to hand that
I should have taken from three feet to the left ;-)

me:
> >I have done a full sequence of shots showing this relationship, and once
> someone sees it they comprehend immediately even though it seems counter intuitive
> compared to what you see through the finder.

> Again, I don't understand your point. You can duplicate with your enlarger
> what I can do with a zoom lens. So?

soooo, to change the spatial relationship between objects in a scene you either have to
move yourself or the objects.