Re: About The New Epson Printers...

At 01:04 PM 8/26/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>Take a "sepia toned" print (or a b/w print made using both color and b/w
>cartridge) from the Epson 2000P and view it under incandescent light.
>Then view it under daylight only. The colors appear to change, usually
>quite dramatically. If you're trying to match the tones of an old sepia
>photograph this color shift makes it virtually impossible.

Light source induced color shift has probably been noted as long as light
sources, colored objects and people to see them have existed. My own
personal  experience with the phenomena dates back fifty years or so when I
bought a very nice looking blue suit at a reasonable price  from a 12th
Street haberdasher in KC. Unfortunately, in bright sunlight the suit color
brightened appreciably. It did not just fluoresce, that baby neoned!  I
solved the problem by avoiding daylight while wearing the suit and you
might consider doing the same with your sepia prints. Balance the prints
for a light source of around 3500K and tell people to keep them out of
daylight.  Heh heh...

>So the new Epson inkset on the 2200 and 7600 is supposed to eliminate
>most of this metamerism effect.
>
>Brian

One can only hope that will forestall  cries of printer "defect" and/or an
ersatz "world wide recall".

Dave
East Englewood
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten."
  -  George Carlin