Re: another wedding session

At 09:38 PM 8/21/2002 +0300, you wrote:
>my best friend's brother is getting married saturday, and instead of a
>gift i offered to take B&W shots of the ceremony

Thats nice.   It may be the most expensive gift he gets :-)

>there will be a pro shooting color, and videoing at the same time, but the
>existence of a very strong spot for the videocamera (maybe a single one)
>bothers me
>
>that calls strong directional light, and the use of a fill in flash.

The video light shouldn't be a problem.  If your using a flash and shooting
B&W you probably won't even notice it.

>but...at iso 400 (hp5+) my flash has a GN of 22...at a distance of 4-6
>yards i wonder if it will be enough to balance the spot (unknown wattage).
>thats is some uncertain situation

Video spots are generally not bright enough to affect film.   They barely
get the exposure up enough for video and make for an easy to white balance
situation.  I've shot a lot of news work in color and without a flash along
side TV news crews with their video lights and I'm generally happy for the
extra light they are throwing on the subject.  Besides your job is to
record whats there and the light is part of it.

>also, i wonder what camera setting i should use
>a programed mode, the AV mode risking the occasional faster than shutter
>sync time shot,or should i take a general reading of the frame and work up
>and down from there?

You should get a "HI" warning if you are about to over sync.   The solution
is to stop down a bit.  As long as your not shooting wide open, it
shouldn't be a problem.   General Wedding photography guidelines suggest
shooting at F8 and making your lights deal with that setting.   The reason
is while low depth of field is cool, this is a once in a lifetime event and
you want to be able to cover up minor focusing errors.    So if you set to
F5.6 or F8 you shouldn't have any problems.   If you want more ambience,
drag the shutter (switch to manual and slow the shutter speed down).

>another concern of mine will be our flashes firing simultaneously. it
>happens believe me! how does that affect my exposure determining method ?
>i actually tend towards the AV mode...TV is out of question 'cos the
>camera does not co-operate with that lense (screw mount one)

I've only had a couple of photos blow out because of that.  If it happens
it happens and there is little you can do about it.    Just don't shoot the
same stuff the pro is shooting, if you do, wait until he fires his shot
then fire yours.

>i will be needing as much shutter speed and tight aperture i will be able
>to get, since i will be using a 80-200 zoom, but at sync speed of
>1/100 - 1/125 i will  have to hold steady!

If you shooting a flash and your ambient light isn't that high, hand
holding isn't a real problem.  You will be okay.

Thanks,
Rob
--
Rob Miracle