Re: Altered cameras for outter space

Gordo <gordo@tremendo.com> writes:

> I read that cameras that go into space (Apollos and Shuttles) need to be
> modified. Yet, I understand that, besides being light-tight, a photo camera
> should basically need a pressure plate to keep the negative flat and a
> shutter. No big deal, apparently.
>
> So, how / why do cameras that go out to space need to be altered?

Lubricants and use with heavy gloves have been mentioned.

Another issue is that they have to deal with pressure transitions a
lot (from cabin pressure to essentially no pressure and back).  So
they eiher have to be airtight and capable of supporting those
pressure differentials (without warping the shape so that focus is
wrong or the shutter doesn't work or something), or else they have to
be carefully *not* airtight, with sufficient gaps to let the pressure
equalize quickly.  This wouldn't *necessarily* require modifications,
but it would at least require *checking* to make sure the camera will
work.

> You know, trying to find out, just in case...

It's good to be prepared!
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net