Re: Light and filters question to ponder

ADavidhazy <ANDPPH@ritvax.isc.rit.edu> writes:

> A studnet asked:
>
> If a filter has a density of .3 and thus lets
> through only half of the incident light, would
> all the light eventually pass through the filter?
>
> :)

I'm missing something in this question, or you're looking for the
question of "what is light".

The light that doesn't pass through the filter is absorbed by the
filter.  This increases the temperature of the filter.  This increases
the emissions of the filter in some band (we're getting down to
black-body radiation here).  But I wouldn't call this the rest of the
light "passing through" the filter, since it's not recognizably
related to the light that entered.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net