RE: Ouch.

The salon runs every week, and usually gets 15 to 20 entries every
time, but there's discussion going on about cutting it back to once
or twice a month.

The position of judge moves around pretty well, and picking topics
doesn't seem to be a problem. Judging is what can take some time.
Most of the time people manage to go through the whole list and say
something about each submission, but it's not compulsory if you are
swamped.

The whole things seems to stay pretty light and not excessively
competitive, mostly just fun. It does manage to get a group of
pictures out there on a frequent basis.

Not voting probably helps streamline the thing, though voting could
work. I wonder if it might tend toward more repeat winners, though.

One approach to the prize question might be to have really colossal
prizes-things too big to ship. I would be willing to offer Mt.
Greylock as a prize. It's the tallest mountain in Massachusetts,
which doesn't make it very big. It would definitely be out of the
question to ship it anywhere, though. Whoever won it could come see
it whenever they wanted, however and I'd be glad to send them a
picture. There are lots of things too big to ship that would probably
make excellent prizes...

--
Alan P. Hayes
Meaning and Form: Writing, Editing and Document Design