Re: Advice sought on Hare-brained Scheme

"Alan P. Hayes" <ahayes@berkshire.rr.com> writes:

> As part of my death-defying pursuit of pictures from cars in motion I
> have for some time wanted to be able to take action panoramas while
> driving.
>
> I think I may have hit on a semi-safe way to do this. I'd like to run
> my idea by the camera mechanics on the list.

While I'd like you to stay safe, I consider it *important* that you do
it without putting *other* drivers on the road at risk, so I'm happy
you're thinking about the safety implications!

> It's fairly simple actually. I'm thinking of mounting 3 or 4 digital
> cameras so that they would encompass a wide angle of view, shooting
> them all off at once and then combining the images in photoshop.
>
> It would be nice to use Nikon D1s but until I get my grant I figure on
> using  25 dollar digicams (there are such things!).
>
> I've thought of a few possible difficulties. Any comments on them or
> anything else that occurs to anybody would be gratefully received.
>
> I anticipate mounting the cameras on some sort of semicircular
> rail. This would give me some flexibility in terms of positioning
> them. I understand that this sort of geometry might result in some
> sort of parallax issues. I think these are likely to be at a level
> that I can deal with post-exposure, judging from the results I've been
> able to get combining even hand held images (satisfactory to me).

My experience, using Panorama Factory, with hand-held exposures is
quite satisfactory indeed.  I don't think you're in special trouble on
that front.

I don't have anything to contribute on how to trigger them.  As you
say, a $25 camera could be sacrificed to science, and there probably
*is* some way to wire up an electronic release.

Of course, having a second person drive, while you control the
cameras, might produce better results, and/or a safer trip.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net