Advice sought on Hare-brained Scheme

As part of my death-defying pursuit of pictures from cars in motion I
have for some time wanted to be able to take action panoramas while
driving.

I think I may have hit on a semi-safe way to do this. I'd like to run
my idea by the camera mechanics on the list.

It's fairly simple actually. I'm thinking of mounting 3 or 4 digital
cameras so that they would encompass a wide angle of view, shooting
them all off at once and then combining the images in photoshop.

It would be nice to use Nikon D1s but until I get my grant I figure
on using  25 dollar digicams (there are such things!).

I've thought of a few possible difficulties. Any comments on them or
anything else that occurs to anybody would be gratefully received.

I anticipate mounting the cameras on some sort of semicircular rail.
This would give me some flexibility in terms of positioning them. I
understand that this sort of geometry might result in some sort of
parallax issues. I think these are likely to be at a level that I can
deal with post-exposure, judging from the results I've been able to
get combining even hand held images (satisfactory to me).

Likewise, while it won't be as much of a problem when I get the D-1s,
I plan to deal with distortion through post processing. Again this
has been feasible in my experiments with panoramas so far.

I would like to be able to set all of the cameras of at as near the
same time as possible. Also my wife would like me to be able to do
this without taking my hands off the steering wheel. I've seen
devices for attaching cable releases to cameras without the proper
fitting and it seems that a similar mechanical system might work for
this application (though it might end up being foot operated!)

Another possibility given that these are mainly electronic cameras,
would be some sort of electrical arrangement. Since I've got the
possibility of using $25 digicams, it might be possible to sacrifice
one. It would be nice to have some inside information, so to speak,
on these cameras.

I haven't really worried much about waterproofing, hood mounts, how
to explain to the highway patrol, et cetera. There's a time for
everything.

Thanks in advance for helping me "stay alive at 55!"

--
Alan P. Hayes
Meaning and Form: Writing, Editing and Document Design