More on Olympus digicam/Problem solved

AZ says:

>didn't see a box or other items with the camera.

And asks:

>Would the software be downloadable from Olympus? Is
it absolutely required?

Don't know the answer to the first question, Alan.
The answer to the second is yes and no.

The Yes part...  As with too many tech products, the
printed manual is pretty sketchy.  The full manual is
on the CD with the imaging and file management
software.  I had to consult the full manual three or
four times when I first got the camera.  You may not
have to; I had no prior experience with digicams.

The No part...  You don't need the (awful) imaging
software or the file management software.  For file
management, Windows Explorer--which sees the camera
and its SmartMedia card as just another USB
device--works just fine.  It is, however, a bit slower
than the Oly software.

The Oly imaging software is worse than useless.  As
I've mentioned, I was having trouble when printing
camera-generated tiff files.  The words <Olympus
Digital Camera> were printed in the margin, just
outside the image area.  I'd been opening the files
with the Oly software, then saving them as tiff files
either to my harddisk or to a CD.  I've just
discovered that opening them directly into Photoshop
(they open as jpegs), then saving them as a tiff
avoids the problem of the unwanted words and gives me
the (much) better print quality of tiff (after
increasing the resolution to 300ppi).

So...  There's no reason to use any of the Oly
software.  But you might want to have the full manual.

Cheers, John

=====
J. Mason, Charlottesville, Virginia
New Pics, Greg Howard Band at Starr Hill Music Hall:
http://www.greghoward.com/sights/stills/starrhill/