-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Shapiro [mailto:sgshiya@redshift.com]

If I may say:  First of all, it's just plain stupid to have an old camera,
shutter or whatever, and not spend the extra couple pence to have the speed
checked.  Usually, with good conversation included, the camera shop will
most likely perform this for free in hopes you will keep coming back.  I
offer prints and have friends all over the place.  It's so frustrating to
have a good meter, and faulty shutter.

Second:  Tests are so simple, and to expose cut film without pre testing  is
nuts.  I have a simple set up with a gray card and a slate rock all in front
of a white very textured back, which is a sculpture stand base with plaster
of Paris hardened on it.  So, I get the middle grey, Zone 2 off the black
slate and Zone 7 or 8 off the white textured board.

Make a meter reading in the manner most comfortable and expose a sheet at
Normal.  Then, with aperature prioriety, stop N-1, N-2, N-3; then plus four
stops.  Next by shutter prioriety, N-1, N-2 etc.  So with 15 pieces of film,
you develop 16 pieces (include the unexposed piece) in your normal and
favorite developer with technique of familiariety and contact all at the
same times based on a 'good' print from the normal exposure.

>From then on, you'll  know.  EVERYTHING.

S. Shapiro