Comments on 8 June Photos

New to this group and my first attempt at commenting here.  Some did not particularly move me to make comments and my other comments are a bit limited but will give it a try and maybe I will learn.

Hanson - Fisherman's Dream 2000
Generally an attractive picture.  Doesn't strike me as dreamlike.  Didn't see the fish first time, in fact had a bit of trouble picking it out;  pretty obvious once seen though.

Arthur - Wiggleman's Walk to X
Interesting graphical image.

Chen - Pleasing bouquet.  The subtle muted colours work well, particularly with the soft faded background.  The lighting is interesting, might be nice to know exactly how it was done.

Harris - Green Spider
Lovely detail in spider, fine background flower; I guess the spider picked the colour cobination; some kind of camoflage.  In the thumbnail the spider is not real noticable; looks like the center and veins of the flower.  I had learned how to get dark (black) backgrounds in nature (flower) shots thinking this was desirable.  This is the second time this week I have encountered the idea that black backgrounds are "out".  Will have to think, and see what other comments there are, about this.

Fraser - Victoria Day 2002
This seems like a pretty decent fireworks shot.  Attractive skyline and exposure on the sky.  This looks very similar to the fireworks we had in Ottawa and raises the question - Didn't fireworks use to have colour?

Roh - London, British Museum, April 2002
Lovely balanced detailed photo.  Works well in B&W.  I would like to be able to compare it with perspective corrected shot.  It is fine the way it is but the stone work sort of cries out.

Talbot - Whitby Shop
Colourful interesting storefront.  The background distracts me.  Possibly if it can't be eliminated it should be brought more into the picture.

Fildes
A very interesting lady.  Pleasing technique but doesn't really suggest IR to me.  What happened to her bottom?

Elizagan - Operating Room
Balanced attractive composition.  Lighting works well.  Colour creates interest and is subtle.

Vasconcelles - 1/50 s. in Satchmo's Life
Interesting historical photo.  It is a shame about unknown photogs from the past.

                              Good light,

                                             Morley