Re: digitaly correcting color photos

In a message dated 6/16/02 14:12:06, kostaspapakotas@hotmail.com writes:

<< first i have a question to ask...what is the reason i'm getting grainy,
grayed (underexposed ? )shots >>

Kostas,
First, it could be underexposure.  Then it might be where you are having the
prints made--how do the prints you are scanning look?  Chances are the
photoprocessor is printing the dark backgrounds to be 18 percent gray.  Ask
to have them reprinted to look right.

I'm guessing the problem starts with underexposure.  Can you get to the venue
other than at the time of a concert?  If so, you could meter off a gray card
in the different areas the performers will be (best if you can replicate
lighting conditions as they will be during the concert).  If that's not
possible spot metering would be good, if you have a seperate hand-held meter
or one built in to your camera.  If no spot meter is available try using a
longer focal length lens to fill the frame with the subject as much as
possible to get a reading--you don't have to shoot with the longer lens, just
get a meter reading to set the best exposure.  It doesn't take much of a
black background in the frame to throw your metering way off, so it's
probably best to base your exposure on what's important (the musicians) and
let the background go black--especially that black curtain in the images you
posted.

Next, you may want to work on your scanning skills.  The images on the page
you referred us to had few pixels in the shadow range.  I adjusted one of
them in Photoshop, but only made minor Levels changes.  I put my tinkered
version up here: http://members.aol.com/cameratraveler/ll_9Copy.JPG
Unfortunately there is almost no information there for making improvements in
shadow detail, but I think you'll agree it is much improved over the
original.  If you don't want to invest in the full version of Photoshop, you
might consider one of the scaled down versions like Photoshop Elements, or
Paint Shop Pro--I think they're both about $99USD.

Good luck, and keep shooting--you're really not that far off.

Cheers,

Rich Mason
Photographer-at-Large
<A HREF="http://www.richmason.com/";>http://richmason.com</A>