Re: Virus in image files ?

On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, Alan Zinn wrote:

[the 'you' seems to be a attribution]

> At 10:52 PM 6/15/2002 +0900, you wrote:
> >
> >This is offensively ill-informed nonsense. You think taking snake oil
> >should be legally compulsory? Why not make all Micro$oft software
> >illegal? Wouldn't that achieve the same aim quicker?
>
> Then inform us why virus protection software is snake oil? Mine stops that
> blasted klez virus almost every day. All software is vulnerable.

  I agree with Brian, this JPEG-virus "news" is nothing to bother with.

  Firstly, it's probably a JFIF-virus, if anything.

  Secondly, it's with the "Beware of JPEG virii" part of it all, from what
I've seen reported in the news, where the anti virus monglers is wrong.
JPEGs are not software, they are files.  As they are files, not software,
the virus can do stuff, like delete or modify (bad enough!), to them, but
another computer can't get infected by that file - anti virus software or
not.

  There's an important point here: all files are not files.  Some falls
somewhere inbetween "file" and "software", ie. word documents, HTML-files
with ActiveX objects or scripts, and such.  These "softfiles" can
cause code from the outside to be executed on a computer.  JFIFs does not
fall into this category.

--
  Roger Andersson                         Q       "My eyes on the wheel
  roger@lysator.liu.se               __/p'I __     And my hands on the road"