Re: PF main exhibit comments FWIW

> Monday I am to be one of three "judges" at a local photo club so I
thought
> it might be a good idea to do a practice run with the PF exhibt
photos!

Well, the difference of course is that at the local photo club you
will no doubt be expected to judge solely on "pictorialism".

> Bob Talbot, Historical Artefact - I don't get it.
Well, while you are practising for your camera club judging session
... there is no way I would put an image like this in a competition
... ;o)
This image is just one of a sequence of 5 linked by the fact that they
were on the order shown on the same film.
Euston Station this week finishes the series ...

>Whatever "it" is. In general
Need there be a point or can the absurdity of a situation not speak
for itself on occasion ?
There is absurdity in great measure ...

> I personally think that making photographs in museums is extremely
difficult if
> the photograph is to have greater interest than that of a record
shot.
Are you implying incompetance?  Surely not.  the image is *exactly*
how I intended to show it!   ;x)

But, v-a-v your judging session ...  if someone presents you with a
straight record of a museum artefact (or any other statue) then that
is indeed the sort of commentary that the audience would expect to
preceed a low mark ...

> Including the P&S camera does not raise this photo to a level that
would make
> one (me) want to consider it a significant record photo
I think it was yourself that pointed out to me over 3 years ago that
the gallery is not just about pictorialism.  It is about education.  I
have learned much about "photography" as a whole over the years from
seeing it and pondering the images.

For your camera club stint you are unlikely to meet anything
challenging and chances are there is no level to the images besides
themselves.   What I have learned here is that "street" images and PJ
images carry another level.   It is that they have a message (maybe,
sometimes not) or that they reflect just a moment

In a picture of an historical artefact I have deliberately included
something that was mass produced by the thousands. But what is
historical?  The bust is just a lump of chiselled rock - one of
hundreds of  thousands of similar things surviving today.  Little is
known about the specific item apart from where it came from.
Ultimately though it is just stone.

The camera ... modern and plastic.  Who on earth would get attached to
that?  But it has a story ... or maybe not.

>or a long-lasting
> landscape photo like Janine's.
Pretty-pretty can become boring-boring after a while.
When you attend enough photo clubs you start to have seen the images
before.  There are very few that hit you in a way to make you see them
as different.

As photo galleries go the PF one stands out as a place where I
remember images from.  It does not always mean I have liked them, but
I remember them ...

Bob

Phew ... and I didn't mention the unmentionable ...