Re: PF main exhibit comments FWIW

Hi Bob,

> Well, the difference of course is that at the local photo club you
> will no doubt be expected to judge solely on "pictorialism".

hmmm ... actually I do not think that is the case ... we (panel of 3 "judges")
are expected I hope to pick those photographs that to us stand out - that we
consider outstanding - based on whatever criteria we want to impose ... and
which may vary from time to time and photo to photo.

> > Bob Talbot, Historical Artefact -
> Well, while you are practising for your camera club judging session
> ... there is no way I would put an image like this in a competition
> ... ;o)

I understand - I must admit I did not think back to the previous photos and see
them as a sequence. I took it at face value and did not realize the visual
commentary that preceeded it. To some extent I think I was dealing with it like
the sheep photo and without some other clues to go by I got snookered! Sorry.

> Need there be a point or can the absurdity of a situation not speak
> for itself on occasion ? There is absurdity in great measure ...

Absolutely.

> I personally think that making photographs in museums is extremely difficult
> if the photograph is to have greater interest than that of a record shot.

> Are you implying incompetance?  Surely not.  the image is *exactly*
> how I intended to show it!   ;x)

No ... not implying incompetence on your part. But now I admit incompetence on
my part.

> But, v-a-v your judging session ...  if someone presents you with a
> straight record of a museum artefact (or any other statue) then that
> is indeed the sort of commentary that the audience would expect to
> preceed a low mark ...

yes. and as some people say "your mileage may vary" - so I admit to having a
prejudiced attitude in this matter. I presume others have similar shorcomings.

> I think it was yourself that pointed out to me over 3 years ago that
> the gallery is not just about pictorialism.  It is about education.  I
> have learned much about "photography" as a whole over the years from
> seeing it and pondering the images.

yup .. and I am trying to learn meself.

> For your camera club stint you are unlikely to meet anything
> challenging and chances are there is no level to the images besides
> themselves.   What I have learned here is that "street" images and PJ
> images carry another level.   It is that they have a message (maybe,
> sometimes not) or that they reflect just a moment

don't know.

> >or a long-lasting landscape photo like Janine's.
> Pretty-pretty can become boring-boring after a while.

I just could look at a "pretty-pretty" landscape longer than the fake bust and
plastic camera. (Of course if there is a "story" to be found in the latter that
may change things) Anyway, that is just me. Others may see things differently.
And I did not label Janine's photo pretty-pretty and I don't think you would
either. But that is not the issue.

> When you attend enough photo clubs you start to have seen the images
> before.  There are very few that hit you in a way to make you see them
> as different.

I am not personally too concerned about "new" or "different". I am moved by
anything done well. Even if similar things have been done ooodles of times by
others before. Fine knives or gunstocks or a well manicured lawn ... done ad
nauseum but craftsmanship and vision with whatever subject does merit a second
glance or more. Anyway, I repeat - stating one's opinion is just that - one
person's opinion. Take it or leave it. Discuss it if the chance presents
itself. In any case all of these statements are essentially banal in the
context of the universe.

> As photo galleries go the PF one stands out as a place where I
> remember images from.  It does not always mean I have liked them, but
> I remember them ...

yup ... me too.

> Phew ... and I didn't mention the unmentionable ...

see .. now here we go again ... what does THAT mean? now we have to wonder.
Guess this could be a test of the psyche of the group??? If we respond somebody
marks off a + check, if we don't a - and then what is it all about? Ah, well,
it does not matter anyway.

have a great weekend everyone ... Rochester NY in the USA is blessed with blue
skies, mild temperatures, low humidity and I have to go mow the lawn!!

adios,
Andy