Gallery: bottom row of 2002-05-18

For anyone still on PF ... which seems unusually dead this week ...

The PhotoForum member's gallery/exhibit space was updated MAY-18-02
Work now on display at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html
includes:

>                  Roderick Chen - spider
Yes, it is indeed.  Looks like there is a dusty glass window between
the spider and the background?
Side/back - lit shows the translucence of the legs.  Since spiders
tend to pose quite well (most of the time) a bit of light refelected
back on to the spider's left would have improved it.  Not much, a
small piece of white card would do the trick.

>                  Bill Ellis - Ducks in a Row......
Fun shot ... love the evil duck leader in the middle of the front row
;o)
I would crop slightly from the right side, the sliver of a duck's neck
adds nothing and would make the leader a little less central.
Well seen and appropriately lit.

>                  Dan Mitchell - Denver Mill
Classic shot:  some might say it should be switched left to right ...
but it works fine for me just as it is.
The cow parsely (?) in the foreground really is a key element in its
success.
Places like this really do exist, though it's getting harder and
harder to avoid phone masts and pylons.
Sigh ... I want to be there ;o)

>                  Jonathan Bailey - Danville, VT 1998
Cheap camera, heavy vignetting, bit too dark for me. I really love the
overall design but don't feel the technical limitiations compensate
for the end product.
But of course this is a scan of a print so of course the original
might have far more detail / subtlety than the on line version. Can't
judge on that possibility.

What a scene/moment though.  The snow-clearer's here don't blow the
stuff in to the fields like that.  The scene is a photographer's dream

>                  Alan P. Hayes - Stop stop
Extreme camera shake: should have used a tripod ;o)
I guess this works as a concept  - but I can't help but compare with
the clarity of Christiane's shots in the series gallery.
I don't mind it not being level, does it need a point of interest
though?  A rabbit about to become a pizza maybe?

Overall a nice contribution nevertheless ...

>                  Greg Fraser - Dreaming in Color
Shapes, colours and shadows.

The "design" in this is clear - it is after all about patterns.

One leaf breaks the flow, top edge going straight up out of frame.
Photoshop or gardening could fix that.

The scan looks a bit brittle again - was it a poor neg rescued or just
grainy film?

Bob

VP "Free the PTC Three" campaign ...