Gallery: top row of 2002-05-18

Only time for some now.
maybe more later.

> The PhotoForum member's gallery/exhibit space was updated MAY-18-02.
Authors
> with work now on display at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html
include:

>                  Bob Talbot - British Museum
A perspective forced by circumstance.  Shadows are where they are  at
17:30.  Through choice 16:30-17:00 looks a better time of day.
Behind the statue are distracting posters and trash-cans ... taken 10
min after last week's beggar on a sleeping bag shot ... it was when it
was and the hardest in the busy was to avoid the crowds - a transient
second of empty..   I loved the shadows.  Without them it would be no
more than a straight record of a piece of someone else's art ...
whose?

>                  jIMMY Harris - Laurie
Nice smile, the pose is fine.
Technically this image is a bit "brittle". A blue cast in the shadows
and a tad over-sharpened.  Was that to attempt to cover the fact that
the shot was not sharp to start with?

>                  D.L. Shipman - Betty Jane
Very crisp focus front to back.  The background could therefore have
been distracting had it not been plain.
Was the hair (back of head) worked on post capture?  Seems to lose
definition yet the chair back is sharp.
Hand looks a little uncomfortable - she looks pensive and out of the
picture ... what at?
She is not interacting with the photographer - but I don't get another
message.  A good likeness for her family to treasure no doubt ...

>                  Alan Zinn - Self portrait
Yeh, right ... self portrait - in your dreams maybe.
Trying to work out the reflection here.  Are you the dark circle?  ;o)

>                  Emily L. Ferguson - Red = trash, Green = recycling
Darned title ... distracts me from an empty coloured scene.
Is this a scanned print rather than neg?

Pity the green is so dark - wish the sky was not so empty.
My mind wants some little (cliche?) of something to offset the
symmetry ... something on the floor bottom right?  something on the
roof top left?
As it is I would lose the sky and enjoy it more ...

>                  Steven Ross - Dunnotter
How many times have I tried this type of shot ... many.
So far I've failed to come up with one worth showing.
The attraction for me is the "two-points of interest".
On this shot the background is just a haze ... at the on-screen scale
it is too small to appreciate except that it is on the coast.
The interest then is in the turret (?). The shadows are really harsh
... is that how you wanted them or was it just the light?  (or just
the scan).  Would a small burst of fill-flash have helped put some
detail into the darkness and lessened the contrast ...

Bob