MAY 18, 02 Gallery Review

Bob Talbot - British Museum
It's easy to see the possibilities for a picture here, but it feels
as if this could be so much better if it was a little different in
some way. I like the possibilities in the three distances
shown(sculpture, near building, far building) and the color and light
is almost lush though I find the shadows a little distracting. Could
you go back and take a few more for me, Bob?

jIMMY Harris - Laurie
What you describe of the circumstances shows in this photograph. It
certainly has a quality that makes it through any technical defects.

D.L. Shipman - Betty Jane
I would be interested to know how much effort went into setting up
this photo. It has, at once, a casual and a formal feel to it. A good
portrait.

Alan Zinn - Self portrait
Is that you over his right shoulder?

  Emily L. Ferguson - Red = trash, Green = recycling
Interesting study in color and texture. I especially like the pale
blue sky. The cropping on the left and right gives me trouble.

Steven Ross - Dunnotter
I can't say I like the color much in this. Also it would be nice to
see some detail in the shadow.

Roderick Chen - spider
I'd like to see this bigger, but then maybe not! I think this is the
first instance of full frontal nudity in the PF gallery since I've
been subscribed.

Bill Ellis - Ducks in a Row......
This has nice grays! And a pleasant sort of ambiguity on first viewing it.

Dan Mitchell - Denver Mill
In color and composition this feels more like an oil painting than a
photograph. I think it would feel static and predictable if it
weren't so exactly right. An interesting photograph.

Jonathan Bailey - Danville, VT 1998
What's split toning and what does it do in this photo? Maybe I'm
missing something seeing it scanned and reduced to a screen image?

Alan P. Hayes - Stop stop
It's dangerous, I guess, but I am currently obsessed with taking
pictures while driving. Night pix feel easy...I am starting to get
daylit stuff that I like, as well.

Greg Fraser - Dreaming in Color
More undulation from the frozen North. I used to not get a lot of
Greg's pictures, but I find they've grown on me. He hasn't announced
it, but if you check his recent posts he's got a new web site. (Sorry
for outing you, Greg!) Seeing a whole pile of Frasers at once is
instructive. I'm beginning to see what he is up to, photographically
speaking. I'm not sure I can explain it, but that's OK.

Thanks to everyone for showing...
--
Alan P. Hayes
Meaning and Form: Writing, Editing and Document Design