Re: 30's Photos................

Russ,

I believe that given the differences in the materials available these
days (read that as "hardly any silver in the films or papers...) you
might try a couple of things.

1 Shoot 8x10
2 Filter your lights so that the spectral output more approximates
incandescent light (yellow or green)
3 Find out how Dan Couto is getting the skin tones and textures that he
is in his work. (Digital retouching and smoothing)
4 Send a plane ticket to Tracy Juliver to do make up.  (You need
exceptional hair and make up work)
5 Experiment with filters. Herrison and Harrison makes some great
filters that soften without going mushy. You want radiant highlights but
really smooth tonal transitions and crisp details. (Using softars on
8x10... isn't that a cool idea? Like photographing nothing but blue sky
8x10. Maximum photographic detail of a subject with minimum detail.)

At the least, go with this order... 4 2 5 3 1

You have a big job ahead of you. I will be VERY interested in your
results. I have always wished to be able to replicate that style of work.

Good luck