Search Postgresql Archives

Re: quoted identifier behaviour

Randall Smith wrote on 14.03.2007 18:59:
I'm trying to get Postgresql to work with software that uses JDBC and Oracle for a large government project. So I have to report that the application won't work with Postgresql because it (PG) doesn't adhere to the standard. That's usually something I say about Oracle and MySQL. I'm an advocate of Postgresql and usually tout SQL compliance as a strength, so it bothers me that this is not in line to be corrected.

Then the software is not written well :)

DatabaseMetaData.storesLowerCaseIdentifiers() correctly tells the program that PG stores everything in lowercase. So if a (JDBC based) software wants to be truly multi-DBMS enabled, it *has* to retrieve those things from the driver.

Thomas