Search Postgresql Archives

Re: quoted identifier behaviour

Albe Laurenz wrote:
Randall Smith wrote:
Are there plans to make Postgresql's behavior SQL compliant with
regards
to quoted identifiers? My specific need is to access tables named in lower case by an uppercase quoted identifier, which is in line with
the
SQL standard.  So if I created table foo, I should be able to access
it
like "FOO". Is there a configuration options that modifies this behavior or can I change the names in the system tables?

I don't think that there are plans to change this as it would be
hard to maintain compatibility.

It would be nice to have it as a configuration option though. That way, you could have both SQL compliance and backward compatibility.

I'm trying to get Postgresql to work with software that uses JDBC and Oracle for a large government project. So I have to report that the application won't work with Postgresql because it (PG) doesn't adhere to the standard. That's usually something I say about Oracle and MySQL. I'm an advocate of Postgresql and usually tout SQL compliance as a strength, so it bothers me that this is not in line to be corrected.

You must not change the names of system tables, but you can
certainly create upper case views for them.

That's my current solution. I imagine this is not very efficient, but I could be wrong.

Thanks.

Randall

Yours,
Laurenz Albe