Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 12:21:14PM -0700, Chris Travers wrote:
Since the end reward for all this work would be having to read CATALOGS
WRITTEN IN ALL UPPER CASE, none of the key developers seem very
interested ...

I think you're slightly missing the point. Most people won't need to
change any queries because unquoted identifiers are case-folded anyway.
Right.  That is part of the case for at least putting this on the TODO list.

Which way doesn't matter, as long as it's consistant. No the main
objection would be this (see below). Does anyone really want this? I'll
take lowercase anyday... (Note, it's not exact, some things aren't SQL
identifiers so would be left alone. But idea is the same.)
Ok. If someone wanted it, we would see a patch already. I understand this. Probably making AS optional would be a bigger priority because such a patch exists already :-)

However.....

This is not only non-standard behavior but can also cause headaches in certain porting circumstances. Adding it to the TODO list would at least invite others to take this up *if* they (or their customers) required it. The work I see required would minimally be:

1)  Add a GUC variable to allow for changing the case folding behavior.
2) Add duplicate entries for builtin aggregates and functions in the catalogs but with upper-case names
3)  Adding a duplicate INFORMATION_SCHEMA with views off information_schema

Additionally if people depend on case folding for catalogs, you would want to create a PG_CATALOG schema with views off pg_catalog. However, this seems to be peripheral and not central to the issues of managing the data given that identifiers are treated as already double-quoted.

I *could* see a case where a company that does portability work (like EnterpriseDB, which specializes in Oracle portability) might find such a feature as important. Adding the item to the TODO list would invite patches where they are needed.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting

      match