Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Dropping a temporary view?

> On Mar 20, 2024, at 09:51, Celia McInnis <celia.mcinnis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> The view is being used in some web query software that multiple people will be accessing and the contents of the view depend on what the person is querying, so I think that temporary views or tables are a good idea.

There's nothing wrong with temporary views or tables, and the use-case you describe is a reasonable one.  The issue comes up when they have the same name as a permanent view or table.

It's deterministic which one a query will use.  All temporary objects are in the pseudo-schema `pg_temp` (it's a "pseudo-schema" because it's an alias to the current session's temporary schema, rather than a schema itself).  By default, pg_temp is absent from search_path, which is treated as if it were the first entry, so temporary tables and views "mask" the permanent ones.  However, if that temporary object doesn't happen to exist, or if pg_temp is explicitly moved to a different position in the search path, you could have some surprising behavior.