Search Postgresql Archives

Dropping a temporary view?

Hi

I am using postresql 16, am trying to use temporary views in a piece of software that I am writing, and would like it to be able to drop and recreate temporary views. It seems from the documentation that I can only use "CREATE OR REPLACE TEMPORARY VIEW" if the replacement view has the same columns, so Is there a correct way to drop a temporary view?

I can create a temporary view, but get a syntax error when I do what I thought would drop it. Here is a simple example of what doesn't work:

tt=# create temporary view tempview as select now() as junk;
CREATE VIEW
tt=# select * from tempview;
             junk
-------------------------------
 2024-03-20 14:21:27.441168+00
(1 row)

tt=# drop temporary view tempview;
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "temporary"
LINE 1: drop temporary view tempview;
             ^

Also, when I then tried (I formerly had a non-temporary view called tempview)

DROP VIEW tempview;
DROP VIEW

postgresql did that successfully, but when I then did

select * from tempview:

postgresql hung for a long time (more than 7 minutes) before returning the contents of some previous view tempview (a previous (temporary, I guess) view by that name that was created by my software when I was not creating a temporary view?). I really wasn't expecting this, so if someone can explain, that would be great.

Thanks,
Celia McInnis