Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Let's Do the CoC Right

On 01/23/2016 01:59 PM, Steve Litt wrote:

We all need the necessary protection, which is not necessarily equal
protection, because some of us are subjected to much more harassment.
And I think we all need to walk a mile in other peoples shoes before
assuming others need only the meager amount of protection we need.

Everyone needs protection in some form or another.

The point, is that everyone deserves a fair shake and equal shake. There is no arguing that except to make a argument on false pretence.

If a woman is being harassed in this community, it is not o.k.
If a man is being harassed in this community, it is not o.k.
If a transgender is being harassed in this community, it is not o.k.
If a homosexual is being harassed in this community, it is not o.k.

I have been accused of being a fat hater. My crime? I suggested that generally speaking, obesity is a matter of diet and exercise. Worse? The individual started the conversation and I am also classified as obese (barely, I won't be in a month).

I have been accused of being sexist because I asked if there was chalk (for bouldering) that was better for women because their skin is generally softer and the chalk wasn't staying on the respective persons hand. A scientific sexist fact.

I have been accused of being sexist because I said it wasn't sexist that Samsung doesn't make full feature/performance phones that are smaller for a woman's hands.

The tl;dr; here is:

If a "human" is being harassed in this community, it is not o.k..
If a human is not being respected in this community, it is not o.k..

Anything that tries to create an unbalanced protected class is a non-starter.

Sincerely,

JD

                     +1-503-667-4564