Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pg_upgrade & tablespaces

On 12/27/2013 02:52 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:
On Friday, December 27, 2013, Joseph Kregloh wrote:

        FYI, some testing showed that playing around with spclocation in
        pg_tablespace is not recommended.

    Do you happen to have more information about this? Because it would
    actually solve all my problems by moving the user created
    tablespaces out of the /data directory. But I would like more
    information on the subject before even thinking about it anymore. I
    did it a couple times for testing purposes. I modified the
    spclocation in pg_tablespace and then move the folder.

spclocation no longer exists in 9.3.  If the database needs to know
where the location is, it inspects the symlink in pg_tblspc to figure
that out.

Well the issue seems to be with 9.0. I am not exactly sure where pg_upgrade is pulling its information, but I am guessing from the error message that on the 9.0 side of things it is using spclocation. In the OPs situation that is no longer valid for 9.0 once its data directory is moved. The special circumstance here being that the user tablespace is in PGDATA. I would welcome enlightenment on this.

Cheers,

Jeff

--
Adrian Klaver