Search Postgresql Archives

Do all Postgres queries touch Shared_Buffers at some point?

I am puzzled about the extent to which shared_bufferes is used for different queries.  Do _all_ queries "touch" shared buffers at some point of their execution?

Many of our warehouse queries are  seq_scan followed by HASH.   I know work_mem is assigned for HASH joins:  but does this mean that these queries never touch shared buffers at *all* during their execution?  Perhaps they are read into shared_buffers and then passed into work_mem HASH areas???

What about updates on big tables? What about inserts  on big tables? What about append-inserts?

I think I could get these answers from Explain Analyze Buffers but I am on 8.2 :-(

Please tell me which queries use/touch shared_buffers in general terms, or please point me to documentation.

Shiv