Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pg_upgrade & tablespaces

On 12/26/2013 08:31 AM, Joseph Kregloh wrote:
As suggested I did a couple more experiments. This time I installed
Postgres 9.0 in it's defauls location. I then installed Postgres 9.3 in
/opt. Tested that both version booted up and ran independently of each
other.

First test, Postgres 9.0 just after an initdb, so it's all clean. It
completed successfully and created the analyze_new_cluster and
delete_old_cluster scripts. So this was successful.

Second test. I cleaned up the data folders for both installs and did
initdb on both installs. This time I created one table space. It
completed the upgrade, however it only created the analyze_new cluster
script. No delete_old_cluster script. I created the symlink from the new
install pointing to the old data folder, which is to be expected. But it
left the old data there.

Could not create a script to delete the old cluster's data
files because user-defined tablespaces exist in the old cluster
directory.  The old cluster's contents must be deleted manually.

Here is the message on --hackers that explains the above:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20130214052952.GA10606@xxxxxxxxxx

While the upgrade was successful, I find it unusable and leaving me with
a lot of manual labor ahead of me. Because it leaves the old folders
there, which have to be deleted manually. The same with all the other
data files, like postgresql.conf for example. Something that
uninstalling 9.0 doesn't remove. In other words now I am left with a
dirty /usr/local/pgsql/data folder and having to modify the postgres
startup script. Or manually delete all the files and folders I don't
want and reinstall Posgres 9.3 in the default location and create new
symlinks.

Well one of the options in the upgrade process is to move the old installation out of the way into another directory and then install the new version into the default location. That would eliminate the above issues.

-Joseph

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxx