Re: Better, consistent instrumentation for postgreSQL using a similar API as Oracle

On Mon, 2021-10-04 at 21:51 -0400, Mladen Gogala wrote:

> On 10/4/21 02:34, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> > On Fri, 2021-10-01 at 15:06 -0500, Jeff Holt wrote:
> > > TLDR; If I spend the time necessary to instrument the many functions that are the equivalent
> > > of the Oracle counterparts, would anyone pull those changes and use them?
> > > Specifically, for those who know Oracle, I'm talking about implementing:
> > >     1. The portion of the ALTER SESSION that enables extended SQL trace
> > >     2. Most of the DBMS_MONITOR and DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO packages
> > >     3. Instrument the thousand or so functions that are the equivalent of those found in Oracle's V$EVENT_NAME
> > >     4. Dynamic performance view V$DIAG_INFO
> >
> > Anything that improves user experience in that respect is welcome, but consider
> > that each database has different approaches to solve the same problems.
> >
> > Before you go to the length of implementing a lot of stuff, check in with
> > the -hackers list and discuss your ideas.
> >
> > Please be a lot more specific than in this e-mail.  While it is certainly
> > fine to sketch your ambitios vision, focus on one specific thing you can
> > imagine implementing and come up with a design for that.
> >
> > Note that "Oracle has it" is not a good enough reason for a PostgreSQL
> > feature.  We think we can do better than they do (at least in many respects).
> > Also, don't assume that everyone on the -hackers list will be familiar with
> > certain PostgreSQL features.
> >
> > One think that you should keep in mind is that Oracle has to provide different
> > features in that area because they are not open source.  In PostgreSQL, I can
> > simply read the code or attach a debugger to a backend, and when it comes to
> > profiling, "perf" works pretty well.  So there is less need for these things.
> >
> > I don't want to discourage you, but contributing to PostgreSQL can be a lengthy
> > and tedious process.  On the upside, things that make it into core are usually
> > fairly mature.
> >

> Laurenz, you are obviously not aware who are you talking to. Let me
> introduce you: Cary Millsap and Jeff Holt are authors of the "Optimizing
> Oracle for Performance", one of the most influential books in the entire
> realm of  Oracle literature.

I have never heard of Jeff Holt, but then there are a lot of wonderful
and smart people I have never heard of.  I tend to be respectful in
my conversation, regardless if I know the other person or not.

> Haughty lectures about "Oracle has it" not being good enough could
> hardly be more out of place here.

I have no idea how you arrive at the conclusion that I was delivering
a haughty lecture.  Somebody asked if PostgreSQL would consider applying
patches he is ready to write, somebody who seems not to be familiar
with the way PostgreSQL development works, so I tried to give helpful
pointers.

> To put it as politely as is possible in this case, shut your pie hole.

I think you have just disqualified yourself from taking part in this
conversation.  I recommend that you don't embarrass Jeff Holt by trying
to champion him.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe