Re: Better, consistent instrumentation for postgreSQL using a similar API as Oracle

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 9:04 PM Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What angered me was the presumptuous tone of voice directed to an Oracle
> legend. I have probably talked to many more Oracle people than you,
> including Tanel, whom I have met personally. I am not on Twitter,
> unfortunately I am older than 20. Before you ask, I am not on Instagram,
> Facebook or Tiktok. I am not on OnlyFans either. I have never understood
> the need to share one's every thought in real time. Being rather private
> person has probably stymied my career of an internet influencer. I'll
> never rival Kim Kardashian.

You do seem shy.

> As for Jeff Holt, I believe that a person of his stature needs to be
> taken seriously and not lectured "how are things done in Postgres
> community".

I haven't met Jeff Holt either, but I believe that he is also older
than 20. I have to imagine that he doesn't particularly need you to
defend his honor.

> I  am rather confused by the thinly veiled hostility toward
> Oracle. In my opinion, Postgres community should be rather welcoming to
> Oracle people like Frits Hoogland, Frank Pachot or Jeff Holt. After all,
> we are using Postgres and telling us "you can't have what you used to
> get from Oracle" is not either encouraging or smart.

I agree with all that. I am also friendly with Frank, as it happens.

I think that Laurenze was just trying to establish common terms of
reference for discussion -- it's easy for two groups of people with
similar but different terminology to talk past each other. For
example, I think that there may be confusion about what is possible
with a tool like eBPF today, and what might be possible in an ideal
world.

--
Peter Geoghegan